Friday, November 29, 2013

Anthony Milford criticised for Canberra Raiders, Brisbane Broncos mess - Sportal.com.au


In a new twist to the Milford saga on Wednesday, the Raiders issued a media release saying Milford would remain with the club in 2014 before heading to the Broncos the following year.


The fullback has been desperate to return to Brisbane to be closer to his ill father and made no secret of the fact he does not want to play for Canberra, with The Courier-Mail reporting Milford told Raiders officials he has no intention of coming back to the club.


Speaking from Samoa, where he has been on holiday since the Samoan team finished their Rugby League World Cup campaign, Milford said the press release from the Raiders had been news to him.


"The way the Raiders put things out, I was disappointed and shocked that they would do it that way," Milford told The Courier-Mail.


"For them to put out a statement, I never expected that to come out.


"There was no talk of that, I didn't even know they were going to put out a statement.


"I spoke to Ricky (Stuart, Canberra coach) and Don Furner (CEO) last week and they said they wanted me back on December 16 for pre-season training.


"I haven't given any guarantees. Now all this has come out. When I get home there will be some conversations going on."


Speaking on Friday morning, Johns said Milford was not making any friends by his attempts to force Canberra to let him go.


"This is just a mess," Johns told Fox Sports. "I don't know what to quite make of this with Anthony Milford.


"The thing about it is with Anthony, you only get one career and I think it would be absolutely ridiculous to sit out a season.


"He's trying to force the club to release him to go to the Broncos and they're (Canberra) well within their rights to say, 'hang on mate, we've invested in your future. We were good enough for you to sign on the dotted line. C'mon, one year and then off to the Broncos after that'."


Geyer added: "I think this kid's a prodigy. I think he's going to be a sensational player.


"But the way he's conducting himself at the moment. He's got to take stock.


"And the bottom line is, we all love a bit of Milf."


Milford said he doubted the Raiders would let him play any form of rugby league if he chose not to honour the final year of his contract in 2014.


However, he said this was a risk he was willing to take.


"My No.1 goal is to come back home and look after my parents," said Milford.


"My dad's health comes first. If anything happened to him while I'm in Canberra, I'd be pretty shitty.


"The money (from Canberra) was massive. It was a huge offer for me to stay. But at the end of the day, this decision isn't about money.


"That's why I asked for a release back in August. Canberra know how I feel ... I have gone to the Broncos for a lot less money."



No comments:

Post a Comment