Saturday, March 23, 2013

Thurston hits 200 not out after a shaky start - Sydney Morning Herald


J Thurston

Old gold: Johnathan Thurston is in vintage form. Photo: Getty Images



A looming 200-game milestone has suddenly made North Queensland playmaker Johnathan Thurston feel old. But Thurston, who turns 30 next month, reckons the sensation will pale in comparison with what he endures when he finally retires.


Thurston launched his trademark laugh when asked how he felt about reaching his career milestone in the Cowboys' Monday night clash against Newcastle in Newcastle.


''It has actually taken longer than I thought,'' he said. ''For someone who reassessed their goals after one NRL game, this is special. It definitely makes me feel old. But I am stoked. I didn't think I would get to 200. I had a few injuries along the way.''


In a game of giants, Thurston has somehow nursed his 179-centimetre, 89-kilogram frame through to a 12th NRL season. And he is showing no signs of slowing down after signing a lucrative contract extension with the Cowboys.


Thurston may have been his usual jovial self when asked about his milestone but he was serious when talking about the toll the game had taken on his battered body.


''The body is not too bad. I just signed a new four-year deal so hopefully I can pump out those four years but the body is all right,'' he said. ''When I retire it won't be. I will just keep trying to look after it at the moment.''


The latest Thurston ailment was a wrist complaint suffered in the All Stars clash that forced the flashy pivot to enter this season without a Cowboys pre-season trial under his belt.


Looking forward to a maiden premiership with the Cowboys was Thurston's goal when he re-signed recently. However, he still took time to look back before game No.200. He ranked the 2004 premiership with the Bulldogs along with the Cowboys' grand final loss a year later as moments to remember. ''But my favourite game would have to be the 2005 preliminary final against Parramatta [which North Queensland won 29-0],'' he said. ''No one gave us a chance and we ended up dusting them by about 30 I think.''


Thurston was also focusing on proving people wrong this year especially after they were belted 32-10 by Melbourne last week.


''We got a lot out of that game,'' he said. ''The scoreline didn't reflect how close it was - we are quietly confident going into this match.''


Meanwhile, Penrith hooker James Segeyaro always feels like he's got a point to prove when he plays against South Sydney.


The Papua New Guinea-born Segeyaro was axed by the Rabbitohs in 2008 for disciplinary reasons and lines up against his former club on Sunday at Centrebet Stadium.


Segeyaro, who is in his first year with Penrith after signing from North Queensland, played SG Ball and under-20s for Souths and has played alongside Adam Reynolds, Nathan Peats and Dylan Farrell.


''It's always good coming up against mates I played with growing up,'' Segeyaro said. ''I love playing against Souths because I feel like I've got a point to prove.''


The 22-year-old, who grew up in Queensland, admits getting dumped by the Rabbitohs helped him as a footballer. ''I was a young kid in the bright lights in a big city and coming from a country background it got to me,'' he said. ''But I'm glad it happened because it let me mature and develop as a player.''


Segeyaro's darts from dummy-half are sure to be a key part of Penrith coach Ivan Cleary's game plan as they look to work over the big Souths pack up the middle.


Penrith come into the game after two contrasting performances.


Cleary's men opened the season by thumping Canberra 32-10 before falling in a heap against Wests Tigers, who beat them 28-18 last weekend.


The Rabbitohs kept their unbeaten record intact with a 14-12 win over Cronulla after beating the Sydney Roosters 28-10.


AAP



No comments:

Post a Comment