Sunday, March 24, 2013

Ferguson on self-imposed booze ban - NEWS.com.au



Ferguson


Blake Ferguson reaches for a high ball against the Dragons. Source: Getty Images




Ferguson


Blake Ferguson flies high for the Raiders. Source: Getty Images




TROUBLED Canberra star Blake Ferguson has sworn off the booze for six weeks - and the results were there for all to see.



Ferguson, originally chosen to play NSW Cup for Mounties, received a late call-up and was brilliant in the Raiders' 30-17 win over St George Illawarra at Canberra Stadium.


Canberra's senior playing group met with Ferguson last week, the former Shark finally agreeing to stay off the grog.


Ferguson was stood down earlier this month for drinking on a rooftop with then-teammate Josh Dugan, who has since been sacked by the club.


''The boys showed faith in me during the week,'' Ferguson said. ''I had a meeting with the senior leadership group and told them my plans.


''I told them I wanted to earn the trust back in the playing group.''


Asked about alcohol, Ferguson said: ''That is a six-week plan where I'm not drinking alcohol.


''The boys have said these next six weeks will be a real turning point for me.


''It's early May when I am allowed to have a beer and that's going to be measured.''


Dismissing speculation he wanted to quit the club, Ferguson said: ''As I said on Twitter, I am very happy at the Raiders and there's nothing more I want to do than stay here and rip in.


''I think we are a good chance this year.''


Raiders skipper David Shillington said Ferguson initiated the meeting.


''He was very remorseful and said he would stay off the drink for a while,'' Shillington said.


''That is all we wanted to hear. He has followed through what he said.


''There had been a few indiscretions and (we were coming ) to the end of our tether.''


Ferguson has one try assist and was dangerous each time he called for possession while Dugan's replacement at fullback, Reece Robinson, was another stand-out performer.


He scored two tries and set up a third in Canberra's first win of the season.


''That was a super effort,'' said Raiders coach David Furner.


Shillington added: ''He (Robinson) was outstanding for us.''



No comments:

Post a Comment